Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dirty Water

If you are currently a member of your community's board of directors, or even considering serving on a board, here is some important information to consider:

Last October, federal regulations were enacted that consider both Board members and Community Association Managers to be “co-permittees” along with maintenance companies/vendors using any type of biological or chemical applications that might run in to nearby waterways (ponds, lakes, streams). All must comply with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit for items such as the treatment of mosquitoes, algae, weeds, tree pests, etc. 
Even if the Board or Community Association Manager selects a vendor whose contract stipulates that the vendor is responsible for obtaining a permit and complying with regulations, Board members are also on the hook if the vendor fails to comply.

Along with proof of insurance, make sure your landscapers and pest control people are providing the Association with copies of this NPDES permit!

More information about this topic is available at the following links:

Contact your Community Association Manager if you have any more questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment